Muscle pain is one of the most common forms of pain to experience. Muscle pain can stem from overuse of a muscle group in a hard workout, repetitive movement during work or a task, or serious injury from impact or intense strain. We will almost all suffer some sort of muscle pain throughout our lives, but many times muscle pain is a slight annoyance, which fades away within a few days.
Muscle pain can be a more serious condition though. If you suffer from muscle pain which is more than a slight annoyance or does not fade away after a few days you may have a serious problem, a problem that Health Star Clinic can help you with. Our dedicated team of physicians will help uncover the cause of your pain. Once you understand the cause of your pain proper treatment and healing can begin.
Causes of Muscle Pain
Below we provide some of the main causes of normal muscle pain:
- Delayed-onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) – Pain and stiffness from strenuous exercise
- Muscle Cramp – Sudden contraction of muscles, ex: calf cramp
- Muscle Strain / Pull – Hypertension of muscle fibers causing pain
- Repetitive Movement Strain – Muscle which has been over fatigued
- Sprain – Stretching or tearing of a ligament
Some common causes of systemic muscle pain are:
- Fibromyalgia – Disorder of wide spread musculoskeletal pain
- Flu – Viral infection
- Lupus – Long term inflammatory disease
- Rheumatoid Arthritis – Chronic inflammatory disease that affects small joints in the hands and feet
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – Extreme fatigue disorder made worse by physical or mental activity
- Myofascial Pain Syndrome – Chronic pain disorder where trigger points in the muscles cause pain in unrelated parts of the body
Treatments for Muscle Pain:
- Physical Medicine – Physical medicine works to strengthen and improve the body’s strength through range of motion therapy, resistance training, and improved joint mobility and muscle flexibility. Often times the pain is a result of muscle weakness, or imbalance. We find that our corrective exercise and stretching often times relieves the pain symptoms without the need for surgery. Surgery should be your last resort.
- Spinal Adjustments – Spinal adjustments put the body in correct posture alignment and helps to relieve muscle strain from over compensation.
- MLS Laser Therapy – The healing properties that concentrated light energy helps to reduce inflammation and accelerates healing for acute soft tissue injuries, and chronic shoulder problems.
Muscle contains soft tissue which is very prone to injury. Muscle pain or muscle soreness can range from acute pain like a stiff neck to more severe chronic pain. Muscle pain is mainly due to tension, stress, overuse, and injuries. This type of pain is normally specific to one area or body part. Systemic muscle pain is a pain felt throughout the entire body. Systemic muscle pain is often due to an infection, sickness or reaction to a certain type of medication. It is important to know the difference between the two types of pain so that proper treatment can be administered.
If you are suffering from muscle pain please give us a call. We can set up a consultation to help identify the cause of your pain and get you on track to living a pain free life.
Don’t Let Muscle Pain Control Your Life. We Can Help.
We are confident that our treatment programs will help you even if other treatments have failed. Fill out our request appointment form to find out how we can help or call one of our clinics to learn more. Most major insurances are accepted.